Wednesday, April 1, 2009

U.S. House of Representatives Passes Vision Care for Kids Act

By an overwhelming majority, the U.S. House of Representatives passed HR 577, the Vision Care for Kids Act, on March 31, 2009. This important legislation provides children with appropriate follow-up care once they have been identified with a potential vision problem through a comprehensive vision exam or vision screening. One in four school-age children has a vision problem significant enough to affect learning. As President Obama recently stated, "No child should be falling behind at school because he can't hear the teacher or see the blackboard..."

Prevent Blindness America applauds our policymakers for their actions to preserve children's vision health through passage of the Vision Care for Kids Act.

For more information on your child's vision health go to http://www.preventblindness.org/.



1 comment:

Sarah D. said...

My son was diagnosed with vision problems that required vision therapy that I haven't been able to afford. I had him in private school( on scholarship) due to violent gang activity in the local public elementary school. When I tried to go through the local public school to get the therapy (which by law, they must offer me..."no child left behind")I was given a snotty attitude and never had my calls returned. What do I do? And how does this new law affect my child?